From February 20, 2022 to July 3, 2022 (with breaks for holy days), I preached through Paul’s Epistle to the Phillippians, focusing on the theme of being “Servants Together for the Gospel.” Links to each sermon are followed by a few suggestions for preaching through the book.
- God’s Providence and Power at Work in His Servants (Philippians 1:1–2; Acts 16)
- A Good Work Begun and Brought to Completion (Philippians 1:3–11)
- The Unstoppable Advance of the Gospel (Philippians 1:12–18)
- Christ Will Be Honored (Philippians 1:19–26)
- A Life Worthy of the Gospel (Philippians 1:27–30)
- Humble Servants Like Jesus (Philippians 2:1–11)
- Work Out Your Own Salvation (Philippians 2:12–18) — audio coming soon
- Two Examples of Christlike Servanthood (Philippians 2:19–30)
- Gaining Christ at Any Cost (Philippians 3:1–11) — audio coming soon
- Press on to Final Salvation (Philippians 3:12–21)
- How to Have Harmony in the Church (Philippians 4:1–9)
- Every Need Supplied (Philippians 4:10–23) — audio coming soon
Tips for Preaching through the Book
- It’s a great book for uniting the church around the mission of the gospel. “Gospel unity” is the phrase that I used most throughout the series.
- The Philippians Overview video by BibleProject illustrates how the book revolves around the Christ hymn of Chapter 2, which I referred back to in nearly every subsequent sermon.
- Keep your eye on the themes of partnership, sharing, friendship, rejoicing, servanthood, and future salvation.
- The book can easily be preached through in 9–12 weeks. If I ever preach through Philippians again, I would likely combine a few pericopes in the opening chapter (e.g., Php. 1:19–26 and Php. 1:27–30).
- My primary commentaries were Paul’s Letter to the Philippians andPhilippians. See more commentaries on Philippians at bestcommentaries.com.
- As always, I recommend reading Wesley’s Notes on each passage. His notes are especially rich on Chapter 4.
- I provided handouts, but I might pass out ESV Scripture Journals for future sermon series. The ESV Philippians Scripture Journal includes the full text of Philippians and plenty of room for notetaking.